Thursday, July 9, 2015

It's OK if you don't like it

I have a style of teaching that fits who I am, I learned it from my Yoga teacher, who turned 83 earlier this year.  Yoga is a way to really face yourself, deal with yourself, not have any distractions, be nice to yourself, counterbalance and really figure out what is your way and right for you.

I am not in the front of the class working out and ignoring everyone else.

I am explaining the movements simply, pointing out people that are a good example, watching the group, and walking over to each person individually, giving tips on form, alignment, core, and where to feel it.

The learning process of each person is unique, I really cannot teach anyone anything.  We teach ourselves, different teachers will speak our language.  In other workouts, music gets you pumped, sweat is flowing and it feels so good because you know you are working hard and getting a result.  I look at Yoga and Pilates like a Martial Art, or a Dance, Mind and Body connect.  It flows on the outside, but is strong, accurate, precise, and detailed on the inside.  Especially in Yoga, listening to our gut, listening to what feels right for your own body.  I always say if someone tells you I am doing it right, look at me, it is the only way, they are only talking about themselves.

I always get suggestions in my classes, and I accept and learn from constructive criticism. Sometimes my style of teaching does not connect with students that want more of a fast paced, intense, and more agressive style of movements, which work in cardio and strength, but I feel it does not work in Yoga. I love to say, Intense, but not tense, and if you do push, the body gets tight, and resists injury, trying to protect itself.  I think Yoga is a great counterbalance to our hard core life and workouts, let that be the one place where you go nice, go easy, but inside you are hard core, it is really a workout when the mind and body are connected, and the stretches go deeper, so it helps flexibility.  One thing to really internalize in Yoga is you will get there, step by step, healthy, permanent, with no injury, and we have to get out of the "I Want It Now" mindset because then it is not Yoga anymore.  Tune into what your body needs, accept it, respect it, and keep working at it.  Besides amazing physical results, you deal and face yourself, remain calm, and your brain turns off from the world for an hour.  One of my students said after four months of Yoga, his anxiety from a very scary incident in his home finally went away.

One student who was a regular in my class, was leaving for an extended vacation, and wrote me a beautiful note, telling me that maybe I could bring more variety into my classes.  I love suggestions, and I didn't know whether to ask her what she suggested specifically or explain to her that it is different every day, if you are really in the zone, you pay attention to what your body needs, it is never the same.  When I take Yoga, I don't know how its going to be, sometimes it is a very intense workout when I'm feeling full of energy.  Other times, I am exhausted, or if there is injury, pregnancy, or any big life event, it is so important to go easy, and really listen to what your body needs.  Yoga is the one place where you can be nice to yourself, and it gives you more benefits and results.

I recently hurt my back, it is getting much better, but I am still taking it easy, luckily I have a lot of regulars in my classes that are great examples.  One girl did not hear me say I hurt my back, and she told me it would be great if I can actually do the poses myself, and I told her I am so sorry but you must have not heard that I hurt my back.  She left class after that, I always tell people, you don't learn by watching, listening, reading, or looking at your neighbor who dances for cirque du soleil, you learn by doing.  Only practice will help you figure our your body's way, and if your head is in the way, and my class is not for you, no problem, its all good.  I am blessed for the last 15 years to have so many amazing people truly connecting to my energy, my message, and my style of teaching, I am so grateful that this is my life's work.  I know Yoga has really calmed me down personally, I am more patient, have better reactions, and am truly present in the daily taking care of me way of life.  It is not selfish, it is self care.

Coach Yulia


No comments:

Post a Comment